View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Seneca7

Only an alcoholic with beer

Possible trigger warning? I don't know what the protocol is here, but I'm describing the subjective effects of drinking.

I have a weird relationship with alcohol. I've had drinking problems at various points in my life, and although I sometimes drink liquor and wine, I've only had problems with beer. It gets me "drunk" faster and more obviously, it makes me euphoric and activated, and it makes me want more. Wine and liquor do not have this effect. In fact, I've been able to avoid these problems, without completely abstaining, by keeping low-quality wine (i.e., Manischewitz) around the house.

Maybe it's some other ingredient (like hops) that does something to my brain, or maybe I only drink beer when I'm in the mood to overdo it. All I know is that liquor does not do anything pleasurable for me.

Has anyone else had this experience? The fact that I have trouble moderating myself made me think I was an alcoholic, but it only happens with beer. Is this a symptom of alcoholism, or just a weird quirk?