View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DoubleDragons

ACOA Red Book Step 8

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.

For me, I can honestly say that I have always been a very apologetic person. I sometimes apologize for things that weren't really my fault. I have become more discerning in my relationships since starting on recovery road. (for my problem with alcohol, and for my codependent tendencies) So for me, this is more like a "going forward" step. I want to be more conscious of my side of the street and apologize for things that really are my fault, not just for any bad event or circumstance that occurs. I also have come to understand that just because someone feels hurt because I don't want to do something with them, or spend more time with them, or even want them in my life anymore, that doesn't mean I have done something wrong. Boundaries aren't bad, even if others' feelings get hurt.

I know this doesn't seem in the spirit of the step, but I think if I start apologizing for only the things I am truly responsible for, it actually makes my "sorries" more sincere.