View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lillamy

Let me add this, too:

As a person who grew up in the church, this is one of the issues that has made it hard for me to continue going to church. The pastor who worked so hard at getting me to return to AXH (to the point of suggesting that I was mentally ill); the strong push for "marriage is a lifetime commitment"; the stigma that is still there in the church around being divorced.

I was recently invited to join a group but had to agree to a certain set of "commitments and behavioral standards" one of which was that I would keep my family intact at all costs and not be the one to initiate a family breakup through divorce. I told the woman who invited me that while I adore my husband and don't see us ever divorcing, I would not be able to commit to something like that, because I've been through one dysfunctional abusive marriage, and that I would never put myself through that again. I was uninvited to join.

Which led me to going on a long rant about how nice it must be to have your life be so perfect that you can't imagine anything that horrid ever happening to you, and how nice it must be to create a little club where everyone's perfect. I may or may not have had some thoughts about how I almost wished something really bad would happen to these people to teach them how little we are in control at the end of the day... because that's where my faith comes in. Not by being perfect, but by realizing how far from perfect I am, and how much I need my HP.