View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by krissypie1803 View Post
30 days if a very achievable goal. I didn't set one but I know I can do anything for 30
My goal wasn't a period of not drinking. My goal was having the full, rich life I wanted. Alcohol was an obstacle to that, and was causing a host of other problems, too. So I had to give it up.

It wasn't my only obstacle, though. I had to discover and then work on other things as well. Something I couldn't do if I was buzzed all the time.

Something else you might find useful to know - persistent alcohol use increases anxiety. The human brain produces excess anxiety-inducing chemicals in response to the frequent boozing. (Turns out its bad for survival to be numb and complacent all the time.) You will especally feel the effects of this once you stop drinking. The brain continues to over-produce those chemicals and you feel extra anxiety because of it. We're all different, but on average it takes about 90 days for the brain to adapt to no alcohol and reduce the anxiety output. Feeling irritable, anxious, and moody in early sobriety (first 3 months) is extremely common, so be prepared for it.

You can do this.