View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lillamy

Well -- I don't know if it's your feelings that are the problem. If you forgive me for saying so. I know we tend to be ultra-freaked-out by alcohol after seeing the damage it can cause, but still. I would like to ask you if maybe your feelings aren't the issue here, but his drinking?

The "I know that a lot of people have a glass of wine with dinner" sounds to me like you're trying to talk yourself out of being suspicious. I would avoid talking myself out of seeing red flags if I were seeing red flags.

Here's my very personal take on it: Yes, there are people who have a glass of wine or two with dinner every night. Yes, there are people who smoke a cigar when they come home from work every night. Yes, there are people who never drink during the week but drink every Friday and Saturday night. None of those people are people I'd like to share my life with. I am who I am. I've had the experiences I've had with alcohol and alcoholics. Those have taught me that regardless of what other people are comfortable with -- I know what I'm comfortable with. And that wouldn't be it.

After five weeks, if this man has had a couple shots of tequila after work every day, I'd probably pull way back and keep observing. At the most. But frankly, anyone who has a habit of consuming alcohol on a daily basis would be off my list of "interesting" real damn quickly.