Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Serper2014

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Your social life and any romantic life need to be examined too - do they bolster your recovery or undermine it...is your priority always recovery, or not?

D

That is a decent question. In my first taste of sobriety I did things that many people would have considered unpopular. I went out to bars, I went to parties, I was really fine with not drinking at those events... this relapse... I went to a 4th of July BBQ. It was a pretty big event and there were maybe 20 people there... most of my friends have graduated and have great jobs and are in long term relationships... I got home that night after being like the 15th wheel at the party. I came back to my crappy apartment, alone and I was just like... You're fat, you're alone, you've ruined you're apt, everyone else around you is linked up in great relationships.... so I went back to my old buddy....beer... I didn't get terribly drunk nor did I do anything stupid...and honestly I didn't feel so bad about drinking... I just had a moment of clarity that I need to fix the things that were damaged in my life in order to maintain sobriety... in order to fix those things I need to not drink.... So not drinking is the minimum... fixing things is next... in order to maintain that long term sobriety...