View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Non, no ones sobriety plan has to wrong for mine to be right either. I do, however, believe that it is indisputable that certain thinking leaves the door open for future drinking. Call it whatever you want, but leaving the door open even a tiny crack for future drinking can lead to...you guessed it...future drinking. There are many that are a part of the fellowship that will say the same thing.

It matters not to me what others do. But if they are going to ask me, I'm going to tell them what I think.
I am not singling anyone out, but many members post harsh criticisms of other recovery programs here. They scoff and demean the mindset of anyone following that program. That is vastly different than contemplating an individual's thinking.

Some of it comes from frustration, and I understand the frustration. I was told this will work. Then I was told it would work if you were doing it right. It wasn't true, and it made me feel like a failure. It depleted my hope.

When I was presented with a totally different option - one that made sense and gave me hope - I was a little irritated for a while about all the ineffective advice I had been given, promises made, judgments passed.

But looking back, I never encountered anyone who I thought was trying to do me wrong. They were giving me advice that worked for them. It just didn't work for me.

Now I give people advice on what worked for me. If it doesn't work for them I encourage them to find something that does. I don't want to deplete their hope. I want them to find a happy sober life.

When my BP #1 was washed away on a bender I came back here and received admonishments that I wasn't doing it right. It will work if you do it right. It sounded shockingly familiar. It made me feel like a failure. It depleted my hope. So we are not all that different after all.