View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
hopeful4

I have been all over the place with this. I was raised in my FOO with a strong but not overpowering religious upbringing. My parents sent us to parochial school until the 8th grade, we then went through confirmation classes, testing, and were confirmed into our faith at the end of the 8th grade. I feel this is where my faith stemmed and I got the most knowledge.

In college I wanted to be my own person so to speak, while I still had faith I tried various other churches, etc. My sister did this also. My parents were supportive of this and would come with us if we asked. I feel that really helped us, knowing we were not doing something behind their back.

I had various things happen that kept me close to my HP. When I had my first DD who is now 14 I came around again and realized how important it was to me to have her grow up knowing about her HP. I sent her to parochial school because I felt that was important in learning. At 7th grade switched her to public due to some bullying issues. She was recently confirmed and has a strong faith, although there are things in organized religion that upset her so I feel she will try other churches as I did, and I am fine with that.

My little DD who is 8 still goes to parochial school and it's a very good thing for her at this time also.

I think it is our responsibility and duty to our children to teach them while helping them explore.

I rely on my HP to get me through all sorts of things. I attend Celebrate Recovery because I like that aspect mixed into my own healing. All of these things bring me closer to my HP and I feel very sad for those who don't have that relationship.