View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
How interesting! I'm away now to the Dog Park to Think Great Thoughts [from 'The Wizard Of Oz'] re: what complicates the choice of how to stop Drinking/Using. Can some 'choose' - or have no choice - to not stop simply? Unwilling. Unable. Not 'trained' in such Self Actualization? No Models in their Lives to illustrate 'just say no'? Thus, it seems like such an unattainable Method to some. No looking down my Nose intended whatsoever. Innate curiosity.
Not sure if I qualify as a test subject for a curiosity-satisfying experiment, but I will share my experience. My experiences with resolving alcohol addiction throughout my life (family, TV, movies, friends, co-workers, etc.) all pointed to a single solution - the dominant recovery program. In my mind it was like a math problem where there is only one right answer, and that was it. When I first started attending meetings back in 1990 there were many things I liked (people who understood), but there were many things that did not make sense to me. The answers to my questions also did not make sense to me. What do you mean I'm not ready? I'm here aren't I?

Fast forward through a lot more drinking and several more attempts to fit a square recovery peg into my round alcoholic hole (pun intended). I had concluded that the answer I had been told my whole life was the correct answer was not the correct answer for me. But for the life of me I could not figure out what the correct answer was. I was assuming it had to be complex. That voice in my head was scaring the shizz out of me and I couldn't imagine just ignoring it. There has to be a process.

That's where this forum came in. People here explained to me what that voice was, why it was there, and how to deal with it. My brain went BOOM! It was like the crossword puzzle you can't solve and then someone tells you the answer and you think it was so obvious, why didn't I see it before?

I am not textbook RR, but AVRT is the core of my sober living program. Why others struggling in another program reject this simple solution I do not know. I embraced it the day I heard of it. (That day is recorded in the stickied AVRT thread at the top of this forum, btw.) I wish I had heard of it decades earlier.