Thread: Rough Days
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MAGW

Fairly certain - I always cry at fireworks - whether I am married/divorced to narcissist of 20 years, or I'm with or without ABF... I think it - as well as the parenting stress- has so much to do with the idealism that some of us, me for sure, were raised. So much hope watching the magic of fireworks - a reminder of naive hope I had for most of my adult life even- until it all crashed. I have wonderful teens, but I look back at their childhood memories with much more pride in the parent I was and the family we were - the problems were under the surface for so many years, everything seemed perfect, but of course wasn't. Easy to get emotional about those expectations we have for how life/marriage/parenting are 'supposed' to be, and how they look from the outside on other families, and on tv. I too feel like I allow to much screen time sometimes for my son, but also sometimes feel as a single parent I desperately need to allow it, we are just not perfect and life doesn't turn out how we want; I know my children love me to the moon and back even if we don't sing Kumbaya in a circle at a fire pit every Friday night. We can only do our best - and give ourselves a break when our best doesn't feel good enough for what we expect from ourselves. Life is much more complicated than I ever thought it would be, at least my children will have some perspective at a younger age and not be so naive and idyllic to the realities of adulthood. Thinking about you!