View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
Sometimes, however, I believe weakness masquerades as "tolerance."
I don't want to apologize for standing up for myself; I won't make myself feel "less-than" just to worship at the altar of tolerance, fairness, etc. In some ways that accommodating behavior; "going along to get along," "gee, I want everybody to like me because I find my validation outside of myself, so I'll deny what I really feel" kept me drinking far longer than I would have liked.
That's one perspective of tolerance My reply was specifically concerning the context your original post was housed in.

When I participate in SR, continuing care, and any group that involves people with differing worldviews and philosophies of recovery, I'm willingly engaging and participating by risking to share my experience and personal opinions. They are also entitled to do the same.

I could go up against all sorts of groups of people and declare my opinions and feel quite justified and solidly strong in my stance. But I don't see the point, unless I'm fighting for the welfare of a helpless person or animal. I save that for the human and animal rights groups I participate in, and the women's shelter.

Strength doesn't always have to be vocal. Tolerance doesn't have to mean agreement or acquiescence.

Interesting thread.