View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Humbly asked God to remove all of our shortcomings.
Around here we take out the word "God" and put in the letters "HP". That makes it more useful to a larger number of peeps.

What got me stuck on this step was that world "remove". I had spent my life practicing the lessons I learned as a child: "Don't trust, don't tell, don't feel." I did not trust anybody to speak the truth, never mind be willing to listen to mine. I had no idea _how_ to tell peeps that my childhood had been a nightmare, nor did I really have a good grip on the damage it had caused me because I could not _feel_ the damage.

All my efforts were focused on trying to figure out my own thinking, as if I were some kind of mechanical contraption that could be fixed by replacing a gear, or a lever. None of my efforts worked. The step does _not_ say "Humbly asked HP to show me how to fix myself." It says _remove_ by something _outside_ of myself.

I am not able to fix myself. It is a physical impossibility. It is like trying to drive to the gas station in order to buy gasoline in a car that has no gas. Fixing myself using a brain that was in need of fixing was not _ever_ going to work.

What did work for me was to find people other than me that I could learn from, and use their experience on my own issues. Those were other peeps in ACoA, and a couple of good shrinks. In listening to them I heard what specific actions _they_ did to heal their "emotional injuries", and when I tried their ideas, it worked for me. The shrinks gave me "exercises" which also worked.

The wole secret to this whole "HP" thing has been the realization that _I_ cannot be my own HP. I have to do something that I never learned as a child. I have to go _out_ there into the world and find others that, unlike my "family of origin", I can listen to and learn something positive.

Mike