View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
schnappi99

I let myself get used up by a <horrible> manager quite a few years ago; ulcer, 60hr+ weeks for a year or so.. the usual story. I finally had enough and got off onto a different project w/ an excellent manager I know well, it took about 6 months for the physical symptoms of stress etc to abate and probably that much again to uncompress mentally. I still remember how happy I was when I finally got 8 hrs of sleep one night.. before that it was tossing and turning for 5 or 6 because of the stress and anxiety.. stay in a poisonous job and it'll be that way till you die from it.

I guess I kept hoping he would moderate his behavior if I did better... his response (to the whole team) was to disenage then show up and impose his will without regard to what the team had worked out in his absence- very destructive. At the time I wondered at the turnover.. ha ha the codies are the last to leave.

I'm glad you stood up for yourself- I never did until I finally left after 2yrs or so of continuous stress and overwork. That was a big lesson for me- never again.. no matter how nice the project if I see those signs and they do not get controlled them I'm going to start finding my way out- a job is just not worth wrecking yourself.