Old 07-05-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
afloatsober

Jarp
Thank you for your post.
I'm here to tell you that age and drinking experience need not be a barrier to recovery. I am proof of that. However, the one thing that the 'expert' said with which i do agree, is that your AH must want sobriety more than literally anything else in his life.
It is not true that he cannot have a life changing rock bottom.
Mine came when all of those that had propped me up and facilitated my drinking for years just upped and said 'enough is enough'.
That included employers (no money or routine), loved ones (nobody to whine and apologise to) partner (nobody to despairingly get me that 'last drink') friends (nobody to understand my intellectual ********') and no me (just a shambling, hopeless, ill wreck of a man).
Sadly some of us need to get to that point to make a decision that we really need help or we die.
I hope that you AH is enlightened before that point but i can assure you that if he does not want to stop, then all those that continue to prop him up are contributing unwittingly to his eventual demise.
Sorry to be so blunt, but this is your life that he is wasting as well as his own.
G