View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Andy F

"Low Frustration Tolerance. You assume you should be able to solve your problems and reach your goals rapidly and easily, so you go into a frenzied state of panic and rage when life presents you with obstacles. Rather than persist patiently over a period of time, you may retaliate against the 'unfairness' of it all when things get tough, so you give up completely. I call this the 'entitlement syndrome' because you feel and act as if you were entitled to success, love, approval, perfect health, happiness, etc.
Your frustration results from your habit of comparing reality with an ideal in your head. When the two don't match, you condemn reality. It doesn't occur to you that it might be infinitly easier simply to change your expectations than to bend and twist reality.
This frustration is frequently generated by 'should' statements. While jogging, you might complain, 'For all the miles I've gone I should be in better shape by now'. Indeed? Why should you? You may have the delusion that such punishing, demanding statements will help you by driving you on to try harder and put out more effort. It rarely works this way. The frustration just adds to your sense of futility and increases your urge to give up and do nothing."

from page 93 'Feeling Good' , David Burns M.D.