Old 07-03-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jarp

CRAFT? Anyone tried it? Love to hear real experiences.

I got the book 'Get your loved one sober' today....it's about The CRAFT program.

Reviews on the book make statements like "one week in and my husband voluntarily committed to getting sober...and it stuck".

A miracle?

Anyway started reading....it denounces detachment for loved ones (but goes on to describe practising what I understand as detachment behaviours). So that's one concern.

I started with activity one....'identify your loved ones triggers for drinking'. With horror and a laugh in the same breath I ticked off EVERY item on their activity sheet and added about 20 others.

I don't know quite how this is going to work.

I'm up to chapter 3. But I'm pretty much already stuck. I can't think of a way of interrupting AH's drinking pathway when he comes home from work drunk almost everyday and there's nothing I can think of that would stop him from doing this. I did try sometime ago getting him to get the kids from school on the way home but he'd just leave work earlier, start drinking earlier, pick them up drunk (or a good way there), and then crack open a bottle soon as he got home.

Has anyone tried the CRAFT program? How does it work for you? Would you mid sharing some examples of what's worked for you...especially if you have a hardcore, long term drinker. The examples in the book aren't resonating for me because they are too perfect and to me seem better suited to drinkers who aren't fully entrenched in their behaviours. But I'd love to hear otherwise?

Thanks in advance!