Thread: Wino
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

degradation, that post hit so close to home with me. Just what I needed to hear. I've always kept tabs on how much I have to make sure there's enough for tomorrow. Taking the trash out and hearing all the bottles clanging together makes me feel so defeated. Made me want to switch to box wine
I drank beer in a bottle for years. I met another drunk who drank beer only in cans. I looked down on him and said whats the matter with you why dont you spring the extra few cents for the better tasten beer in the bottle! He replied that if he dropped one it might break or hurt his foot and was heavy in the trash etc.. I scoffed and continued to look down on him then I realized how much he drank and thought that made sense.

Fast forward towards the end of my drinking carreer I had moved on to cans it was a hair cheaper and well the garbage beer that I could barely afford to satisfy my addiction didnt even come in a bottle anyhow. It made sense too he was right it was lighter they didnt clang so it wasnt as obvious and I started crunching the numbers on how much money ic ould get and how fast if i started to recycle those cans rather then just toss them. I had cans in the yard cans i'd used for ash trays there where cans all over the friggen place. I had evolved and turned into the very same drunk I looked down upon years prior I was now him. ::facepalm:: it just sneaks right up on you too.

For a couple years after I sobered up I'd still find the stray can in the yard and think what a friggen mess i was.

Any sane sober person would have seen this behavior and been like geeze you got a problem. Not me I had no problem at all at the time Or so i thought.