View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
snickerdoodle82

My sister is an alcoholic

It feels strange writing that. She is in her mid thirties. I am in my early thirties. We have not been on good terms for the past few years. She has been estranged from my father for the past 10 years, my mother, for the past year. She is married, and her husband texted me to call him earlier this week. I had sworn I wouldn't talk to her, that I was done with her, that there was so much **** that happened, swore that I was done done done with my sister, and I didn't care what happened with her. I was wrong, and I realized that despite years and drama and bad blood, those blood ties were strong, and I reached out as soon as I got the message.

He told me she was an alcoholic. Out of the blue for me and my mother. It was the last thing we expected. Luckily, she knows she has a problem. The first step, they say. My father is selfish and hateful and wants nothing to do with her, but my mom and I are there for her. She has her husband. She has us. She knows she has a problem.

I don't know what to do . I don't know where to start to help her. I don't know how to deal with an alcoholic, especially since I am so far away - 5 hours by plane. Please help with any tips/experiences.