Thread: Hello and help
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Daretodream

My situation and thoughts were similar to what you have described. I, too, for the longest time felt that maybe I should cut back. But quit? What would I do with all of that time? Things were getting out of hand though. I planned my whole life outside of work around when I was going to have my next round of drinks. I say next round because I could never stop at one. Heck, I couldn't even stop at five as I always promised myself I would do before going out. If I was home, I always had to finish that bottle of wine. I am the queen of bingers, I do believe. Lately, the blackouts were becoming too frequent (scary), the hangovers made me feel like dying when I had to go to work and at times I couldn't. Or, if it was a day off, it was wasted on the couch waiting for the anxiety and racing heartrate to subside. There have been too many times when I became an annoying, argumentative drunk. I cringe when I think about the drunk dialing and texting I have done. I have not felt this rested since I don't know when, so obviously my quality of sleep was terrible. I took that test that CptnZing suggested, and yikes, talk about an epic fail! It has been the most humbling thing to admit to myself that I am an alcoholic.

When I started this journey on the 15th, I never thought that I would experience the positive feelings that have occurred so far. I have seen it described as the "pink cloud" but whatever it is, for now I will ride that wave and enjoy it. However, I am very cognizant that life is not that way 100% of the time; but after the last 11 1/2 days, I sure have to believe that the blah, bad, etc. times are way better than the downward spiral I was in.

Those things being said, it is challenging every day, especially in the afternoon and right after work. Not to mention the golf outing I went to last Saturday....cocktails and golf just go together, don't they? ;-) I did lots of praying and the AV was working on me big-time, but I made it through. And, you know what? I had a great time. My friends didn't know what I was doing but when I explained to a few close ones, they were and still have been most supportive. It only tells me more that I needed to make this change and they were being too kind to drop me like a hot potato.

I belong to a gym have been working out more than before I stopped and can tell a big difference already that my stamina is improving. The bloat went away after the first week and I'm sure if my liver could hug me for finally giving it a vacation it sure would.

Well, if you are still with me after that long dissertation...lol, I do congratulate you! :-)