Thread: Hello and help
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

Originally Posted by TimidTulip View Post
How do I find something to replace the feelings I have when I drink alcohol? I cant get enthused about orange squash or coffee. I cant look forward to a glass of water after work.
I'd try to work out what exactly those feelings were, what did alcohol exactly do for you? . . . alcohol for me was as you say all about the looking forward to it, nostalgia and romanticism of it, a lot of my cravings now are focused on the future tense rather than in the present tense, in the moment actually drinking alcohol, I'd think of what it would be like after work, wouldn't it be great, I'd have soo much relief and enjoyment.

The reality of actually drinking it was something different, it just numbed me for a few hours, I escaped and eventually blacked out into bed followed by a hangover the next morning!!

Alcohol somehow tells us we're missing out on something because it sells the idea that in the moment of consuming alcohol it is such a breathtaking, earth shattering, a nothing will compare type of experience . . . but that's what all sales/marketing does, makes the idea of something seem better than it is in reality.

The difference being the sales/marketing team is resident in our own minds, so it knows exactly the right buttons to push when it drafts it's sales pitch aimed at us.