View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
scoots

You are lucky that you are realizing that this is a problem at 22. I was drinking my life away at that age as well, but somehow it just seems "normal" at that age. Everyone I knew drank daily, every single thing in the world seems to revolve around alcohol in the early 20's. I don't think I ever stopped once to consider if I was drinking too much or if I had a problem. I am 10 years older now (would do anything to do the past 10 yrs over). I didn't realize I had a problem until I decided I wanted to make some changes in my drinking, and quickly realized I couldn't. I lurked on this board and just tried over and over again to control it. I tried to give myself rules, at times I tried to give it up completely but always set myself up to fail. I would say things like "well I'm obviously going to drink at the wedding I'm going to in 2 weeks.. so what is the difference if I'm going to drink then I might as well now. I will quit again once that's over". Anyway I did this over and over again for over a year and I then I just woke up one day and decided I have had ENOUGH. I am exhausted from thinking about alcohol, I am exhausted from the shame it gives me every time I drink, I am exhausted from trying to make excuses for it. I just don't want to think about it anymore. This time seems different, I feel free. I don't want it anymore. I can't think into the future and let my mind start telling me all the things I will miss out on and start it's list of excuses. I cannot allow myself to think about alcohol in any context except for the RIGHT NOW. I am stealing this from another user on here (forget who) but their words helped me a lot - "I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow, but today I am NOT drinking alcohol". This mindset seems to have been the total game changer for me. Hopefully that can help you as well. Good luck!