Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Southerncross

I moved countries to be with him, now he tells me he is an alcoholic

Hey there,

I'm new...
I just found out yesterday that my husband is admitting that he is an alcoholic.

I moved to the states in 2012 to be with him, and we have since married.
After a year of living together (in his family home) I got a full time position at an amazing institution, which I took to start building a foundation for our life together. But it meant I moved 3hrs away.

He stayed behind to 'finish' school... Which I have also just learnt he has been lying about. And was supposed to be living with me now.

I'm currently in the position where he is asking if I can forgive him, and to be honest I don't know. I gave up my world to be with him, and he hasn't given anything in return. In fact when we spoke again tonight he told me he has been lying the entire time I've been in the country.
Even when he told me, he did it over the phone rather than coming and speaking to me in person.

I'm not sure that I even really know who this man is.

I've read posts on here where people ask if it is worth staying in the relationship... My question - if he's been lying for 2 years, is he really going to be able to get better? Is he going to be able to be the family I need in replacement of the family I left?

I know it's selfish to think that way... But am I trapping myself if I stay?