Thread: Tomorrow came
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Those are very positive steps, trachemys, an excellent plan. When I finally was honest with my Dr., I found it went a long way towards me being honest with myself. Like finding and going to an AA meeting or two, it helped cement my decision and my resolve - I had decided to quit, and I was going to make it as easy as possible on myself to succeed.

This might sound trite, but at some point you will consider yourself a non-drinker, and it will help you to visualize what that will mean for you. Are you a calmer person? A happier person, more easy going maybe? Less anxious? How will you get to that place?

It helped me to look at things that non-drinkers did and how they did them, and I imagined myself doing those things. The visualization became an important aspect - I set goals and met them, and this became a self reinforcing loop that left me stronger and more confident in myself, more easily able to deal with the daily slings and arrows. It was a huge relief to finally feel as though I was getting things back on track.

Hope you keep posting, trachemys. Best to you.