Thread: Tomorrow came
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Well, speaking from experience: yeah, it's best to get a plan together. You have to make some changes.

I was prescribed anti-depressants late into my drinking career. I felt like maybe depression was the "problem" and everything would be fine. Alas, taking a pill didn't help me change my behavior, things got worse and I ended up in an ambulance with seizures and eventually in rehab.

It's pretty tough, most people feel stuck in a spiral and they can't get out. In my case, treatment was a must - I spent the last of my savings, quit my job, etc - and there I learned a bit more about feeling powerful in my resolve.

Meeting others with similar struggles can also help. I'm not an AA'er myself but I went in the early goings and it helped. It's not as bad as you think, probably. Some kind of peer support goes a long way. That said, many make it work with SR alone and perhaps that's enough.

The bottom line: you have to have some kind of idea what you're going to start doing differently. Whatever your daily habits have been, you've got to try and start altering them, I think. Others might have good ideas.