View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Boudicca

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I came upon ACT after learning about AVRT and mindfulness. To me, they seem to be different aspects of the same aspect of good old mental hygiene, and have much in common. As Carl suggested, acceptance and mindfulness of 'what is' and a commitment to our desired end situation is applicable to life in general and not only to addiction.

I wonder if these skills like ACT, CBT, REBT and mindfulness, so obviously lacking from me when I was in active addiction, might actually have prevented addiction from happening in the first place? If these aspects of mental self care would have reduced my desire for escape?
What an interesting question! When I relate it to my personal experience the answer is ABSOLUTELY YES!

I used alcohol simply as a coping mechanism. Inappropriate, yes, but a coping mechanism nonetheless. An "escape" from feelings I did not want to feel and situations I did not want to experience. Unfortunately the continued use of this substance is the genesis for neurological changes in the brain and these changes make it difficult to stop. Indeed, a vicious cycle.

Traditional treatment literature and the little I knew of the "disease" of alcoholism convinced me (particularly the last few years of my career) that I was simply broken. I would be a lifelong addict; a poor little alcoholic who would never have control over her compulsion.

It was simply revolutionary for me to understand that I could make a decision, a choice not to drink again. The brain will heal most of the damage I inflicted and I can live a life free of the shackles. No poor little addict here.

RR really helped me. Thank you for your insight.
B