View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
Not just because of the higher power stuff, but I couldn't accept the idea that I am "powerless". My life became a mess partially because I wasn't willing to take responsibility for it;
Just read this again and felt I wanted to say something regarding the powerlessness stuff. Not looking to convince anybody of anything or change any minds, just clarify. There are undoubtedly people in AA who talk about powerlessness as if they're helpless and god has to do it all for them, but that was never my understanding. Nor what it says in any of the AA literature. The literature actually acknowledges that we gain lots of power through the admission of powerlessness over alcohol, and in my understanding all that meant was that alcohol kicked my ass. It was stronger than me once I ingested it, I had less power, it won. If I drank I was sunk. That knowledge, that admission, granted me back all the power I needed to put the pieces of my life back together. Like most alcoholics, I identify with lack of responsibility being a huge part of why I was the way I was. I've never considered myself powerless to do anything about that. But not here to get into a debate on that. Just wanted to address it since it's brought up in the OP.