Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Needinghelp82 View Post
I'm very new into this (day 26) but something about the above jumped out at me.

I joined this site some months ago. It felt great venting and finally being able to admit I was an alcoholic (not great as in proud but a weight off my shoulders and an acknowledgement I have a problem). I stopped posting after about a week, thought I could slowly introduce alcohol back into my life and control it but I couldn't. I came back last month BUT I have also opened up to my doctor. I think that is the difference this time - I have the SR community but also support in my day to day life.

It's tough but believe in yourself. Get some assistance to overcome this.
This is just what I was about to say, too, Paul. I resisted opening up to my doctor for over 10 years. I carried the lie for that long. Meanwhile health issues gradually cropped up that could easily have been explained by my drinking but I still stubbornly clung to the lie. I can tell you that opening up to him and getting the help I needed was one of the single most liberating things I have ever done. I didn't want there to be a permanent record of my alcoholism but I continued it to the point where it could no longer possibly be denied. It's out, and I'm getting the help I needed all along. Don't prolong this. I urge you to talk to your doctor. You will not regret it and you'll begin to get your life back.