View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Patticakes

I do attend Al-Anon meetings on a regular basis and Ken33 your information is on the money. Al-Anon is "not" about my AH, it is about "me". We work the same 12 step program as AA and focus on ourselves. Without working on it I tend to get wrapped up in the alcoholics behaviors and stop taking care of myself. My mind will become consumed with if or when he is going to drink, what I can do to convince him he needs to stop,

Fact of the matter is, there is nothing I can say or do or not say or not do that will make one bit of difference in whether he decides to drink or not! Al-Anon helps me stay focused on letting go of all that responsibility that isn't even mine to begin with. Didn't cause it, can't cure it, can't control it.

Through Al-Anon I have been able to step away from the craziness and fill my life with the things that make me happy and strong. Learning how to do that and detach it gave me the space in my head to figure out the changes I needed to make for me. I couldn't see the forest for the trees... so moving out of that forest I could see things so much more clearly! My Al-Anon family has been such an incredible support for me because they have been there, done that and I don't feel like I am alone in the journey.

I had to try a few different Al-Anon meetings to find the right fit for me. Each group has a different dynamic so it's okay to shop around and find the right fit. The members of my group have truly become a family to me. I walk away from meetings feeling serenity I thought I would never feel again. At the end of the day serenity is truly a blessing.