Old 06-19-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Olemisslauren

Any ACOA help for HIGHLY FUNCTIONING ALCOHOLICS?

I'm 33 years old. Since I can remember, my dad comes home from work, has 3 or 4 double jack & waters, eats supper, then "goes to bed". The first time I can remember seeing my dad "drunk" was in college. But, growing up, the drinking was still there, & as an adult, I've found out that many of my problems are a result of this. I suffer from ACOA, depression, anxiety, very low self esteem, perfectionism, people pleasing, & not trusting my own judgements among other things, as an adult. As a child, I was involved in lots of activities, did well in school, & had friends. But I always felt as though I was different from my friends, but I didn't know why or how. A few months ago, I entered a treatment program for depression. It was there that I learned my Father is a highly functioning alcoholic. When I confronted my mother about this, she told me that once he quit drinking for 3 days to see if he could, & he was fine. There has never been any physical or sexual abuse in his behavior. Although, he moods intensify when he's been drinking. I guess my question is, is there anyone else out there who has a High Functioning parent, that could give me some insight? I'm a little confused since my issues seem to measure up to growing up with a full blown drunk, but he wasnt. I haven't found any literature on HF alcoholism, except in relation to helping the spouse. Any experiences similar to mine would be GREATLY appreciated!!!