View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
WhatAboutME

I desperately do need Al-Anon. Unfortunately, I live in a pretty rural area and the few weekly meetings that are available are about 45 minutes from my house, and right now, I am still unable to drive with my broken ankle. I thought this forum would be a good start until I can get to a "live" meeting.

I would like to add that while I was at work yesterday afternoon, I began reading through posts on this forum. That is when I came across the article about the 3 different types of enablers. As I mentioned, I am an extreme "Provoker". As I was driving home last night, I prepared myself for my husband to be still drinking and extremely drunk, and of course he was! I decided to try and be calm and non-confrontational. He tried desperately to push me over the edge. Screaming and yelling that I needed to go out (with a broken ankle) and get him dinner. I calmly told him that he should have thought about buying some food during the day instead of more booze. I also told him that if he was hungry, he should walk to the store and buy some food. But, unfortunately for him, he could barely stand by this point. I did make him a pot of coffee, but he ended up passing out anyway. No yelling, no threats, no drama. He was taken back by this change from the "norm" and continued to provoke a fight, but I just ignored him and went to bed. As much as this whole situation sucks, I found last night to be a bit more bearable, considering the circumstances. He woke up this morning and went to work sober. I don't know what tonight holds for me, but I feel more able to handle the situation in a non-explosive manner.

Thank You!
Michelle