View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When I finally came into AA, shattered and living on instinct, the most powerful instincts were for procreation and security.

With my bent moral compass, although I was willing to do the right thing for a change, I had no idea what right really was. I formed the view that the right thing for me was to "settle down" so I welcomed the attention of a well known ( to everyone but me) 13 stepper. Practically over night I went from homeless and alone to house, wife, two children, one happy family. All most forgot, we were engaged to be married.

Then it all fell apart a few weeks later. I was back on the street and replaced by the next willing victim. God opened another door for me and I found a nice little flat for one where I lived happily for the next year durning which time I was able to recover from alcoholism. It wasn't for a few more years that I met my wife, the most lovely and loving woman and we had two beautiful children of our own.

My 13 stepper, to whom I had made amends for my part in what was a very wrong situation, continued on her merry way and eventually drank again. There was more wrong with her than just alcoholism, possibly she was one of those who is constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves.

I met her outside a rehab 20 years later and we exchanged greetings. I was so glad I didn't get what I wished for.