Old 06-17-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
i think about say 5 years down the line...i will be sober that long. but .I can change in my thoughts.

This is where the theory of lifelong addiction comes into play. i don't think i can go that long without seriously considering making alcohol part of my life again. It sounds absurd in early recovery but i'm going to have to find a way to make peace with this "forever" thing. not ready yet. but i'm ok. I'm not good with rules..always looking for a way out
I think this is where working with others and passing along the message as part of AA's 12th step comes in handy. Our minds have a way of forgetting things and the memories of trauma are usually eased with time. Working with others keeps a reminder of what things were like and perhaps helps with long term (>5yr) success rates?

I jokingly talk about children in the same way. I love my kids and would love to have more. But the first year to me was more about survival. Not to mention the stress it puts on a marriage. Lack of sleep, feedings, toys everywhere. But now that they have moved from toddler to kids I miss having a toddler running around the house. Again, our minds have a way of remembering only the good - its how you end up having more children:-)