View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
GotGrace

We are back from our beach vacation 4 days early. We spent yesterday in the ER with our 17-year-old daughter and she was diagnosed with diabetes. It is a complete shock and we are reeling. No family history, very healthy lifestyle, very active and fit.

We have a day of doctor appointments tomorrow to begin to learn about this disease and how she will manage it. We are very aware of our many blessings in the midst of this, but there is still sadness and anger to contend with. Learning more will help with that.

One thing I am thankful for is that I am sober. As we drove home from the airport today I could think of nothing other than how good a beer would taste, how good it would feel. But I know that it wouldn't last and it would only lead to disappointment and more sadness. I am glad to be sober and clear-headed so I can be the best mom to her (and my other kids) that I can be.

It was funny, I really was not enjoying our time at the beach; a weird family vibe this year had me feeling alienated and sorry for myself and craving. Saturday night I was wishing we didn't have to be there. Well, Grace, be careful what you wish for!