View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BlueSkiesAhead

Day 15-Getting Real-Need Advice

Hello All,
I am finishing up day 15, and I guess the last few days I am working on staying brutally honest with myself, moving beyond what taking a drink does to me short term. We all know the results of that. I have maintained a period of sobriety for 10 years straight, and those were unquestionably the best years of my adult life. I am only 15 days in from a horrendous binge, but feel very committed to staying sober for the rest of my life. I am asking those people on here who have been sober for at least 3 years to give me some feedback about life after at least 3 years sober when your brain functions more normally. Specifically, how have relationships with yourself, and significant others changed after at least 3 years, for many of you, it is a lot longer. I see relationships for me after my divorce when I started drinking again, being very rocky, mainly because of my addiction, my secrecy…i.e. dishonesty in keeping it all a big secret. I guess I hid my binging because the addict in me wanted to have that out, to hold onto the ability to take a drink (my AV told me it was freedom???) whenever I wanted to. That dishonesty seems to creep into all aspects of my life when I am drinking. Anyone else have some thoughts on this?
After being sober, and not needing to hide anything anymore, did your relationships become better, and your ability to love another become stronger as you learned to love and respect yourself?
That is where my head is at tonight. Total ownership of my addiction and the roadblocks it has caused. Any insights or feedback from the group greatly appreciated. Thank You!