View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
equus

I have no idea whether or not your botfriend has an addiction to alcohol, what I know from what you've written is that he's abusive. To wake you up for the sole purpose of giving you abuse seems very physical and aggressive to me - it goes beyond an argument that's out of hand.

Alcohol reduces inhibitions in most people - so do other things like familiarity in long term relationships, and power if he becomes the bread winner.

Have you thought about relationship counselling? Personally I would want him to face up to what he says and why he feels that way sober - I wouldn't let him off the hook that it's only the drink. If he is an alcoholic then that in itself may be creating frustration and pain in his life - but that will be there sober and drunk, the drink just removes the reasoning that stops the behaviour, it still leaves the question why this is being aimed at you?

Do you want to be with an abusive partner? Drunk or not the kind of behaviour you describe has underlying reasons (just my opinion).

When my hubby is drunk he loses his rationality and can say things that hurt but it isn't name calling nor intended to hurt and there's nearly always some 'base' to it that's there when he's sober. All I'm trying to say is that even blind drunk behaviour doesn't come from a vacume.