Thread: Losing my mind
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
cleaninLI

Four I'm glad you are seeing your therapist.....tell him/her how you're struggling....get real about it like you do here....they can help you!

We are here too....whenever you feel that urge to smoke get on here and post about it.

Believe me we know how it feels...we know how strong those cravings can become.....but you are stronger then they are.....you really are.

What really helps me is playing that tape all the way thru to the end. Our addict brain wants us to remember only the good things about smoking....it wants to romanticize the drug and glorify its use.....but when we keep on going past all those good things.....to the consequences our using has on our lives......the problems we have at work.....or the relationship issues....fights.....the financial or legal problems.....health issues.....where our drug use has taken us and left us in huge pain. Those help to remind us that drugs are destroying our lives.

We can never ever go back to those times of early use when drugs only felt good with no consequences those times are over.....they never ever return....no matter how hard we chase our DOC.

Another tecnigue is urge surfing. Riding out our cravings. Sure they will come....but we have the power to not act upon them.

We can tell ourselves that using/smoking isn't an option anymore.....next? Next being our signal to do something else.

Ok those are just a few techniques I've learned here at SR.

Hugs never forget that you are not alone....we understand and care.