View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Good topic.

I'm almost 2 years sober and have wrestled with this on some dark days. I even had a friend mention to me that perhaps I could try drinking again, if I really wanted to, as long as I didn't drink at home. He was trying to be nice - but unfortunately, he sparked up my AV.

But Like you, I know better.

Grits made some good points. First of all, we're obsessed with alcohol and "socializing" would quickly morph into "isolating" and sitting at home alone with a bottle. I also agree that acceptance is key. We have some dark times, but we have to brush them aside and move on. It's easy to think "I really wasn't that bad" or "I learned my lesson" or "It was just a 'rough patch'" - that's the lazy way out. Do your homework, and look at the situation with honesty, and you'll see that quitting was much needed.

I think one key is learning how to change your outlook on what "socializing" means. I never learned how to socialize as an adult - my entire social life between 18-37 revolved around drinking. I had no idea how to spend an afternoon with someone if it didn't involve beers/drinks. And it can be daunting. But you have to start trying - when you're ready, that is. Take your time and have patience with yourself, you're not going to become Robin Williams overnight.

Start by building some positive "sober memories". Take a trip to a museum or something. Go on a long walk. Do some little "events" that you enjoy, and do them sober. Little by little, you will start getting used to this.

The absolute WRONG way to socialize sober (in my opinion) would be to try and go to a bar and socialize, but not drink. This is not the kind of "socializing" we are aiming to master. It's all about a complete lifestyle change, and building a new foundation. All the best and good luck.