View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
HeadLump
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Achingforchange View Post
Displaced - I had to smile sadly at this one. So incredibly true You are right. When I was drinking socially, all I could think about is how to get my wine glass filled again without anyone knowing. I was rarely present with the people I was with - just waiting and looking for opportunity to fill up. These past few weeks, while I haven't had the capacity to stay at get togethers for very long - I can say that I have enjoyed the company I am with and have not been preoccupied (until a couple of hours go by and I wish I could drink with them, so I leave).

Thank you for such a good reminder. Why am I trying to talk myself back into the obsession?
Such great responses and insights on this thread

For me, one of the most amazing things about sobriety is the freedom I feel. To be able to sit down with a soft drink and not have to worry about how slowly others are drinking, whose round it is next, how I can get more etc etc - and then realising that it's not about the company at all, it's only about the fix

Freedom from the hell of that is wonderful, but I know deep down, that even after all this time, I'm still only one drink away from it.

If you're already starting to obsess about drinking again, think how loud the clamour would be if you actually had one. Hold on tight, Aching. You're well on your way to experiencing life in ways you just cannot imagine