View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

I remember feeling that way too.... when I quite for about a month and a half one time.

Felt really good about it. Felt like things had been "reset". Went back to it and was pounding back even more within a month.

Felt that way also after nearly making it to six months. "ahh, I can do this..."

That was just prior to almost two years of out of control drinking and another DUI.

Now I'm creeping back up on 6 months again. I still sometimes have those feelings, those thoughts. I look back on my life and I take an honest look. Several decades of NOT being able to control this thing - at least not for long and certainly not with any enjoyment - is enough evidence for me.

Maybe looking back with brutal honesty on your life's journey with alcohol will help. Write it down. Start from the beginning. Write your stories. Don't gloss over the remorse, the regret, the pain, the disappointment, the physical impact, the emotional impact, the financial impact. Put it all down on paper. Just keep on writing until you can't scour out any more ugly details (because you just can't remember them. Because you were smashed).

Then read and re-read that every time you feel this way.

It's one thing to read others' stories and reminders... but it's our OWN stories that we must become fed up with in order to honor our choice of sobriety.

You can do this.