Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
rc4dt1

Thanks all for the comments.... I know they are for everyone but I am particularly grateful because I have been struggling with decision making lately and these comments ALL help.

Haennie - I can really relate to your succinct description of how you find your path and choose a direction. I won't claim to fully grasp everything you said, just yet, but I have a psychology degree and studied counseling in grad school before deciding to chase bigger money potential in business. That's another discussion but my point is that what you said sinks in. A holistic approach is surely the best for me.

The other part of my question, how to deal with the discomfort of choosing the more difficult and less instantly gratifying path, do any of you have any strategies you care to share? I try to pray, work out, call a friend or family member, go to a meeting, read, etc... But there are some decisions that cause a longer lasting reaction, one that could sit with me for days or even months. I may feel like I am doing the right thing but I still continue to question it and it's like beating a drum reminding me over and over again of the choice I am making. I think the simple answer is "acceptance" and "do the next right thing" and "move forward".

Maybe I am asking for success stories? lol ... like, "I knew that I should not take a job offer that would put me in a challenging position that I was not ready for but it was for more money, in a beautiful part of the country, and it would provide so much opportunity. I chose not to because I had a feeling (concern about sobriety risk, proximity to an ex, further from family would be contributing factors to the feeling so I guess there is some logic there) that it was not a good idea. I am so happy I followed that feeling because..... "

I'm kind of all over the place here. So I'm sorry if this post/thread is confusing when it comes to what I am asking.