Old 06-08-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Stoogy
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Jen042208 View Post
Hi all,

I'm really struggling right now. I had 5 & 1/2 years of sobriety & relapsed last October (about 7 months ago). I have never been a daily drinker....I am and have always been a binge drinker. I go to the bars every couple days & get extremely drunk & have a hangover for a few days & then do it all over again after swearing I wouldn't. :-( It's truly insane!

The first 1 & 1/2 years of my 5.5 years of sobriety I went to AA (mostly b/c the courts made me after a OVI in 2008). I never liked AA, don't feel it's effective for me & don't wanna go back. I maintained 4 years of my 5 & 1/2 without AA.

Is it possible to get sober again without AA? I feel miserable & despite having so many wonderful things in my life....I hate myself & feel truly hopeless.

I could really use some hope, advice, anything right now....I'm hanging by a thread.

Thx in advance,

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Of course you can do this without AA, I have never used this personally and simply I chose not to drink, period.
I have no doubt that the AA installs many many great practices into your day to day life but at the end of the day, you have to implement these practices yourself into your own life in general. So to answer your question, yes you can do this in any way which seems appropriate for you.
There is no right or wrong way to get sober.