Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi Jen,

Is there anything you can recognize now in retrospect in your thinking, attitude, lifestyle, whatever before that relapse happened? You know, it's often discussed that cognitively, relapses usually start before they occur in practical terms. So many stories on SR... I believe that to be true. Perhaps think about this and try to work around not getting into a similar state again?

In terms of maintaining sobriety, I think many folks use a combination of recovery methods rather than just one. You don't even necessarily need to use them in their conventional form, as originally prescribed, if you can find a more personally suitable way. For example, SR has been a key component in my recovery so far and I am not planning to drop it anytime soon. I like some aspects of AVRT and use them, but not all. As for AA, what I like about it so far is the 3D aspect of being around other alcoholics, I don't go to many meetings and when I do, it's mostly to hear others' stories, interact, and if I have something to add, share a bit. I also like some aspects of the 12-step program but have not chosen a sponsor to work it formally. Still undecided whether I want to. What I enjoy better is informal discussions with people, be it the program or anything else. I also started therapy recently and it seems like that will be something very suitable for me. I don't actually want to use it to target and address my addiction problem specifically and primarily, much more a variety of others issues. I like to pull together all these "tools" in my mind and use the conclusions and insights to aid my recovery, but I prefer to do it my own way.

Do what feels most comfortable, natural, and useful for you if you think you don't want to follow just one program.