View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
360shoes

Just go Jim.

I will never tell anyone what works for them. I only know what helped me. I'm one of those that can find something in pretty much anything. I can let other people do what they need to do and even if they are the type that feel the need to tell me what they think I need to do I still just chalk it up to that's what they need to do.

I will say. I always found something in any book or any meeting that was worth me paying attention too. If nothing else, I went to some meetings at first when I was feeling pretty lonely and sad. And I ended up not so much trying to learn something. I ended up just feeling something. A lot of times sheer compassion for someone else who felt just as lost and heartsick as I did at the time. That's was more than worth the trip. I didn't feel alone.

I had to start somewhere. And my starting was anything that just kept me from picking up a drink at first. And I mean anything. There was just no way around that I had to stop drinking. Do whatever I had to do to not pick one up when it was screaming to be picked up and then worry about finding some meaning later. For me that was about 60 days. For about 30 days, I just focused on not drinking. After about 30 days, I had a little energy to take on trying to find something that gave me a purpose to keep going because that's when the roller coaster ride hit. 60 days? I started to see the possibility I could do this.

Just me. Nobody but me. I just know it isn't easy at first. I know what it feels like want to stop so badly but just can't seem to do it. I had 15 years of that.

I also know it can be done. Not because I did it but because I'm doing it. I don't think in one day at a time much but I do just try to live one day at a time. I find it more manageable on most things anyway. Doesn't even have to be the not drinking. Heck, if I think of how long it will take me to clean my closet, I can get overwhelmed. I'm better off just taking on what I can get done today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

(((Hug))) to JimJim