View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DURF

I grew up in the same type of household, it was party central too. My parents had a built in pool and it had a bar and all the other stuff. It was like a country club in a middle class neighborhood. My parents would drink every night with my aunt and uncle who lived next door. And the weekend parties were never ending!! It was just the way life was back in the 60's and 70's. Of course it brushed off on my two sisters my younger brother, and me also. My sisters were older than me and took care of their own demons on their own and are clean and sober, but I had a little brother to look after, and he looked up to me. He's 5 years younger then me, but wanted to do everything I did. I got into doing drugs in the 70's during Junior and high school. Mostly it was pot, but I also did other drugs from that time, never heroin though. I stopped in the early 80's due to a job I wanted, drug testing was a bitch, lol. However, my brother followed in my footstep's and was doing just what I did, but he never stopped. Later in life his marriage ended in divorce, they were both alcoholics and crack/heroin users which ruined everything in their lives. He lost many jobs from alcohol use and has been in rehab many, many times falling back into the same routine of drinking. He's now in a 90 day program, but when he gets out, he has no place to live, no car, no money, no nothing. I had helped him throughout the years, but the lying and going behind my back has stopped me from helping him anymore. All he has now is my elderly mother, who enabled him for years. I blame my parents for all of us kids being addicts, drugs and or alcohol. I'm in recovery myself, day 6, you can read my post with the heading, 15 years of hell!!! In there I didn't mention any of this, but your post HotWireGirl reminded me all over again of my childhood and my addictions. To this day my mother would never admit she was an alcoholic and blamed everything on my father, R.I.P.!!! I wonder how many other people went thru this type of "abuse" when they were young?????

Thank you for sharing,
Durf