View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
fini

I have noticed that those with long term sobriety don't post about how great life is sober, unless they are responding to a post. And even then, it's not all rainbows. I don't know what I expected, but not this

Raider,
i don't know what you expected, either.
i know some of what i expected, and that went kinda like this: i'm gonna quit this drinking ****, and i'm gonna be on this forum (it was a different one, not SR) for about six months, and then i'll be done with all that jazz! and then, the real good part is that i'll be more-or-less automatically turned into a much less reactive, much more loving, kind and patient person than i am now, and life will be kind of...eh...beatifically smiling, as will i.

right.
forget it.
didn't happen.

but that is okay. it is okay, Raider, to not have it be the way i imagined. and it's okay because i'm sober (seven years). i've changed a bit; slowly. my perspectives...a work in progress, it's true. i've learned some stuff about me, none too flattering.

but exciting in its own way.

no, i wouldn't post about how great life is sober. life is a lot of those cliches you can read all over this board, the rosy and the black. but it's okay. that's the most honest thing i can tell you about it. and okay like this beats the drinking despair hands down.

new people often say it's wonderful, and that can easily be true when you're new. and it's great when that's so.
but it would be cruel if that's all we heard, because for many it is NOT all rosy rainbows.

i wanted "real life", Raider, and i had no idea, really, what that was. i also wanted "real me", and am equally slowly finding out that that's not who i thought i was/am.

I am trying to come to grips with the way it really is, not the way it was when you're wasted and don't care.

yes. that is the work of sobriety.