Thread: Waking up at 54
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
irma

Originally Posted by rtis4ever View Post
Hello, I am not new to recovery and have had several lapses over the past week. I am not sure how committed I am anymore, but want to give another committent to abstinence. I am in this forum because I am 54 and feel like my eyes are open for the first time in my life. I am really distressed to see how I have lived with my addictions to not be present. I practice yoga, meditation and try to be present through mindfulness, but am tired of the routine short answers to staying sober because they aren't helping with my inability to accept where I am in life and WHO I am. I would like to hear back from other women who have also "woken up from the coma" later in life. thank you.
I just turned 58 a couple weeks ago. I had a long sober period in my 30's-40's but foolishly resumed and have been binging a few days a week ever since. I finally felt the commitment to really change my life just this week. It feels different this time and not just a guilt ridden commitment that I have felt so many times before....which I got over in a few days of not drinking until the next hangover. SR is such a great tool and support. Also signed on to overcoming addiction program through SMART recovery. I'm truly working at staying sober this time. As I get older, the image of a 60 year old drunk became more and more pathetic to me. Disgusting really. Each day I feel better, more determined. And am liking me a whole lot better! Good to know there are so many older ladies here. I really didn't expect that. I think that is partly because we hide our behavior more as we age. I know I did anyway.