View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dSober
Recovered from Hopeless State

Bombadil... hmm...

Well, I'm 57 and have always been the same way. I'm fairly philosophical so I think about a lot of stuff. Also, one saying that I learned from my dad, which sticks in my mind is: "call a spade a bloody f--king shovel". So yeah, I generally speak my mind too.

Some people like that, some don't. I've learned, over time, to try to be sensitive to the needs of my "audience" but I'm hampered at times by another saying I picked up growing up in NYC: "f--k you if you can't take a joke". That one helps me quite a bit though when things don't go my way and I turn it around on myself.

How does all this relate to sobriety? I think it probably makes staying sober a bit harder but that's too bad. F--k me if I can't take a joke. It took me seven long, torturous years but in my case I finally got desperate enough to work at sobriety, hard! Per AA's suggestions, I sought, and finally found my Higher Power and I believe now that saved my life. Every drunk has to find his/her own path but sincerely, aggressively working the steps is what woking for me.