View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

I wake up in the morning and pray for a sober 24 hours and I go to bed and say thank you for a sober 24 hours. I don't like to look to far down the road. It's too easy to romanticize my future drinking endeavours. Like some magic creature is going to wave a wand at me and I'll be able to drink like a lady by then. Truth is, everyday I wake up, I wake up much the same person I was when I went to bed. I figure I was a sober alcoholic yesterday and I'm still a sober alcoholic today. Nothing magical happened so I keep going on as I've been going on. Add a new sobriety habit, subtract a drinking habit and keep being a sober alcoholic.

One thing that helps me is to remind myself that I'm a pickle. A cucumber can become a pickle but a pickle can never go back to being a pickle. I'm thoroughly pickled! I'm happy with that though. I get the opportunity every day to live with purpose. I am reminded every day that I am alive by breaths and inches. Living a sober life and sharing that with my loved ones and my sober alcoholic friends is a gift I never thought I'd get to have.

Just remember to live every day as a sober alcoholic. So long as you don't delude yourself as to who you are, you can live in honesty and sobriety.