View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
riotboy

Welcome! I'm family and a former tweaker too. You are NOT alone and I know very well what it's like to keep descending into that madness no matter what the consequences.

My needs have changed over the years. I actually started off with CMA which has a similar concept (12 step/12 trad) but it was extraordinarily helpful because it didn't have the "Don't mention any specific drugs" rules, and at the time I really needed to hear honest sharing about the whack stuff that is "just normal" in the life of a tweaker. I needed stronger identification and some of that stuff was too shameful for me to open up about until I heard it in the rooms. Then I was like, oh wow. Everyone does that at some point or another in their sordid using "career" or it's just "another yet" as they say. (something that hasn't happened "yet.")

After a time though I decided that I really wanted to do step work and now I do enjoy the environment of NA (and specifically, not getting into specifics about the destitution of the disease ... focusing on the solution instead)

Have you had any exposure to a 12-step program or is this your first time looking into it? I can't post links yet but there is a meeting and helpline # locator on NA's web page.

(I think I should also add that I conceded my defeat to that specific drug many years ago, but it took me a much longer time to realize that other drugs and alcohol were also not doing me any favors. Alcohol has actually ended up being the hardest thing to let go of, and that shocks me.)