View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ConcernedBF

Question Concerned Boyfriend

Hi Everyone and Anyone who reads this -

I joined this website and am writing tonight because I am very much in love with my girlfriend and concerned for her health and well-being in regards to her alcohol intake.

I will refer to my girlfriend as "GF". My GF and I have been together well over a year. She is absolutely wonderful in almost every regard except when I try to lightly bring up the subject of her drinking. She gets very defensive and angry and tries to make comparisons with me on how I can eat a large bag of candy in one sitting (I like chocolate). It sounds funny but it disturbs me. I rarely sit down and perform that eating accomplishment and point out to her that chocolate is not a mood enhancing/changing substance and I can still operate a vehicle with a bag of chocolate in me etc. etc. But the discussion goes nowhere.

She never seems to be out of control and sloppy drunk but she can put alcohol away like there's no tomorrow. She brags that she has a very high tolerance for alcohol and that she loves the taste of alcohol. To be honest, in all the time we have dated (well over a year) I have only seen her extremely drunk maybe 3 times. That's really not bad over the course of so many months. But I am having a hard time deciphering if this is really a problem or if she just can drink more on a regular basis and it doesn't effect her. She also did not drink for a whole month about a year ago when we did a sugar detox.

She can drink a bottle of wine in one day without a problem and sometimes …sometimes …breaks open another bottle and pours herself on more glass. She often leaves her last glass of the evening unfinished ( a good sign i think). Two weeks ago she bought a 1.75 litre of vodka and put it in the freezer. I know she didn't crack it open right away and it sat for several days. However, upon coming home tonight while she is away I found the bottle to be about 3/4 gone. So I'm thinking she drank that much vodka in about a week and half's time and probably put away 3-4 bottles in this time frame too. I may have had 3-4 glasses of wine over this period, but had none of the vodka.

I like to have a beer or two or a glass or two of wine here and there, but I very rarely pound anything and if I went a year without alcohol I don't think I'd miss it at all. So my question to anyone who would read this and like to comment is this …after reading my post and knowing that she can stop herself from finishing a glass, doesn't get sloppy or even show signs that she is intoxicated, BUT seems to drink a large quantity of alcohol, especially for someone her size (130 lbs) …should I be concerned? And if so, how do I go about bringing this up with her without her flying off the handle? I love her so very much and want to spend the rest of my life with this woman but just don't know what to make of it all.

Thank you for "listening" and very sorry this is so long.

Concerned BF